Flipping Heck - failing feet

When I signed up for this trek I knew I'd have to face several obstacles: losing weight, getting fit, the heat, hills.....


Never in my imaginings did I think that my feet might be a problem. They are the things that are getting me there. They are the things on which everything rests. They are not supposed to be tripping me up.

But they are.

I've had toe discomfort on and off for the last few years but nothing to worry about. In Shetland it would sometimes play up but I put it down to my sturdy boots being too, well, sturdy. So I've been doing my training in my old faithfuls which I finally had to throw away as they were ripped, let water in, and then the soles began to flap around. Never mind, I thought. I can buy some new boots fit for the trek. I was feeling a bit smug - a reason to spend some money, and bought nice and early to break in.

Pride, they say, comes before a fall. Mrs Smug has now been replaced by Mrs Pie in the Face. My toe issue is back and it's excruciating. At first I thought it was just that the new boots needed breaking in. But a couple of weeks ago, I was 3.5 miles into a 4 mile walk (which feels like a breeze, these days) and I had to abandon it (the walk, not my toe) and hobble home.

I've just seen a podiatrist who was really lovely and.....brutal. She's referred me to the 'Pod' team to have the problem investigated. In the meantime I have to limit walking and be careful. I have to wear wide-footed shoes/boots, take ibuprofen, sit with my leg raised and use hot/cold compresses. Oh! The life of Riley.

But I haven't got time to be faffing around. Training was going so well. I was increasing my miles gradually. In it for the long haul. Lovely podiatrist said for now I can use the exercise bike and go swimming to increase my cardiovascular strength. But walking and jogging (I was hoping to start the Couch to 5K programme next month) are just not on.

But on a positive note, she's confidant I'll be able to do the trek but I need to go carefully. And I might need surgery or steroid injections or special boots or special insoles...... 

I don't care. Whatever it takes. So far, thanks to all you lovely supporters, I've raised 30% of my fundraising goal. And last month I was in the top 10% of JustGiving's fundraisers. I CAN do this. I WILL do this. Even if I have to hop (but I really hope I don't have to do that!).

I was hoping that this update would've been to say I was averaging 40 miles a week. But I've failed with that. Right now, I'm only allowed to do a couple of miles a day if there is no pain. I'm having to adjust, come up with another plan. So until I see the 'Pod' team, I'll walk when I can, get on that exercise bike, and start the upper body strength training.

It's not where I wanted to be. But then, I've learned that when making plans it's best to be flexible. This won't stop me. It's a hurdle I hadn't considered. But hurdles are made for getting over. I shall get there by putting one foot in front of the other (well, maybe not at the moment!).

Pssst: it's my birthday in a couple of weeks and if you were going to send me a card then that's really lovely....but would you consider donating instead? £2.50 is the minimum JustGiving will allow, but that's cheaper than a card and a second-class stamp. Bargain!



Comments