Back in the game

 I've been quiet. Too afraid to carry on fundraising as I've had some problems with my feet. Well, my toes to be exact. It turns out I've got something called Morton's neuroma which is my own fault for wearing high heels with pointy toes when I was younger. To be honest, my mum probably told me I shouldn't and I'm sure I ignored her. After all, who cares about saving your feet for when you're in your fifties when you can be cramming them in to all sorts of shiny, heely things to go dancing (and, gosh, how I loved dancing).

Anyway, I've had a steroid injection in one of the toes which stopped the pain for a couple of months. I've bought the widest fitting hiking boots known to mankind (just call me Boaty MacBoat Feet as I look like I have flippers on). I've been very careful to avoid any footwear that pinches. I've done everything I can.

And now I'm in the Lake District for training (well, it's a holiday really but I'm justifying it by saying that it's for training) and today I managed to walk for two hours with no pain at all. It's really not that long, but it's the most I've been able to manage for months. I'm so relieved as I thought I'd be cancelling my trip. All the money I raise goes straight to the Brain Tumour Charity so I wouldn't be able to give any of it back. And I thought all my sponsors would hate me and call me a fraud. I've been having serious anguish about this.

Anyway, I've been here a week and have walked almost every day. Today I walked around a beautiful waterfall called Aira Force. The slippery leaves and wet stones made walking tricky in places, but that's what I need. That's proper training. We're going to be walking all sorts of rough terrain, so I'm chuffed that my feet held up today. My legs ache. I just had a hot bath and slipped into warm pyjamas. BUT my toes don't hurt at all!

So I'm back in the game. Wish me luck. Cheer me on. I need all the help I can get. Tomorrow I'm meeting a lovely lady I met when I stayed at Gladstone's Library a couple of years ago. We're having a light lunch and then.... a walk. She's a keen walker so I hope she'll be gentle with me. But I hope there are some tricky bits, too. 

If you've got a few pennies to spare, I'd be ever so grateful. You can donate here.
So far I've received 53% of my fundraising target, so I'm dead chuffed. Thank you.


Comments