To know how a man died, you must first learn how he lived.

Last night I began watching the latest series of the crime drama, Shetland. I’m late to it, I know. I was full of excitement when it came out but I couldn’t watch it. Not until now.

As many of you know, I found solace in Shetland after Tim died. The landscape and the people helped me to heal. Helped me to learn how to breathe again. Helped me to see that happiness might be possible again.

Although Tim and I had n
ever visited Shetland (well, he’d had an emergency overnight stay there once – he’d been taken off an oil rig but it was too foggy for the helicopter to make it back to the mainland. He told me he was in a hotel, miles away from anywhere, and the sun didn’t set until after ten o’clock), I was drawn to it. Instinctively I knew that I had to be there. Perhaps Tim’s memory had lodged itself deep in my mind, I’m not sure. But I didn’t remember his story until I was in Shetland and I drove past a sign for St Magnus Bay. Magnus had been the name of an oil rig he’d worked on several times.

In Shetland, Jimmy Perez says to his team that ‘to know how a man died, you must first learn how he lived.’

This got me thinking. How did Tim live his life? He often travelled away from home for work, returning with smiles and hugs (gosh, how I miss the strength of those hugs, that love), sometimes gifts (how I miss those dates from Saudi Arabia), and stories. There was the time he was being lifted from one ship to another by crane: he had to hang on to a basket that swung through the air but he missed his footing and was nearly crushed between the two ships. The story of a sheik taking him into the desert to race across the dunes and dinner in a tent under the stars. The stories of the people he made friends with – and kept in touch with. He’d send Chinese New Year cards to a family he’d become friends with in Singapore; we chose a present for their new baby.

My mind is whirling with the stories he would tell. How his eyes would light up, how he cherished the people he met. But more, how he wanted to bring that home to us, his family. How he wanted us to be part of his life away from us.

When the news of Tim’s diagnosis began to circulate into the wider world, I was inundated with good wishes and requests to see him. I had messages from Saudi, from India, Singapore, Malaysia, Israel – as well as so many people in the UK. Many of the names were familiar, and I tried to match them to Tim’s stories. It was overwhelming. Tim was too ill to see so many people. And his illness too brief.

To know how a man died, you must first learn how he lived.

Tim lived with kindness, compassion, humour, loyalty, openness, and, most of all, love. He would always look for the best in a person. He brought out the best in me.

Tim died too soon. He was fifty-six years old. He still had so much living to do. We had so many adventures planned – our own travelling stories.

Tim died surrounded by love. He kept his sense of humour till the end. He died peacefully, and I am grateful for that.

This will be my third Christmas without Tim. In April next year I’ll be going on an adventure that we’d planned to do together: the trek from The Dead Sea to Petra. I’m scared of so many things and I wish he was there to take care of me. I wish he could hug me and tell me that it’ll all be alright. But I’m finding my own way. I have to. I’ve already made friends with some of the ladies going on the trek, and I’ll try to squash my fears with humour so that afterwards I’ll be able to see the funny side. I’m not as brave as Tim, but I’m trying my best.

This has been a long blog post and I’m so grateful if you’ve made it to the end. I’ve now reached 82% of my fundraising goal, which is amazing. In three weeks’ time, all the money has to be in to register against my target
. So if you have a little bit to spare, I’d be chuffed to bits. Thank you.

To donate, please press here.



Comments