86% and 10 weeks to go

 It's been a busy week. With only just over ten weeks to go, the pressure's ramping up.

Training's going well. I'm not quite where I want to be but as it took so long to get over the chest infection I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. As well as walking longer distances I joined a class last weekend learning how to Nordic Walk. What a revelation it was! Done properly (and I'm still trying to refine the technique!) it burns more calories than normal walking and uses many more muscles - especially upper body. I had a super time as well as feeling as if I'd done a work out. My class mates were great fun and the instructor was wonderful. So much so, I've signed up to weekly classes. No, I won't be Nordic Walking in the desert, but I've learned better posture and how to walk more efficiently which can only help. 

A lovely surprise is that the instructor and a couple of people from the class have donated to my fundraiser - so now I'm up to 86% of my target! Thank you.

The Brain Tumour charity sent me a tee-shirt and have let me know that all donations received will go towards my target. I thought it would close in early January, but apparently not. Donations will be put towards my target until after the trek's finished, which is brilliant. They really are a lovely charity - so supportive and kind.

Today I had my vaccinations so have two heavy arms. The pharmacist at Boots in Sudbury was fabulous. He knew I was nervous and told me about the marathons he's run and how tricky it is trying to raise money. We talked about bats and caves, and rabid dogs, and the likelihood of rabid camels. I went into the room shaking and came out laughing with stickers for being brave. Well worth the money and the dead arms!

Tomorrow I'm hoping to do another eight mile walk. I say 'hope'..... On Sunday I stupidly came down the stairs wearing my reading glasses and missed the last couple of steps. I landed on the slate kitchen floor, twisted my right ankle and stubbed the toes on my right foot. Ouch!
Anyway, I've bought an ankle support and the swelling in my big toe's eased, so as long as I can get my walking boots on, I'll be out there. Walks this week have been reduced to a couple of miles each day in wellies, topped up with sessions on the exercise bike. Where there's a welly there's a way.

On Sunday I head to Scotland! I'm meeting up with friends I made in Shetland and I can't wait to see them. Oh, and I'm there for training, too - I can't wait to tackle some of those hills. Well, not really. As you know, I really don't like hills. Sometimes I question why I signed up for this trek!

As always, lovely friends, thank you so much for your support and your kindness. Without you there, cheering me on, I couldn't do this. Thank you.

Jane Lomas is fundraising for The Brain Tumour Charity (justgiving.com)


Comments