Glorious mud

It's been a challenging week: mud, mud, and more mud. But I can honestly say that Suffolk mud is not a patch on Essex mud (which is really clay - well, they make bricks out of it). But instead of squelching deeply into brown, sticky stuff, I've slipped and slided my way across fields - and even landed on my bottom. Oh, what larks!

Today the mud's drying out - I even ventured out this morning in hiking shoes rather than hiking boots or wellies. But I did manage to trip on a bramble branch and projectile launched landing on my knees and hands. I haven't done that for a while - Tim used to huff at me as it used to happen so often. So I had to walk home with muddy knees feeling like a complete fool. I think the people around here are getting to know me......

This morning I've got a Nordic Walking class which I'm really looking forward to. I've sponged the mud off my walking trousers so hopefully no-one will know about the earlier incident!

And now we have just three weeks to go until the trek. This morning I raced up a hill (well, walked very fast) and was only mildly puffy when I reached the top. I was really pleased. When I first moved here, I used to stop half-way to pretend to look at the view, but I really needed to catch my breath. And even then I'd be almost doubled-over trying to catch my breath when I got to the top. It's so hard to judge your fitness when you're walking but this has really made me smile. When I first started training, four miles was a big deal for me. Now I do six on most days, interspersed with a couple of eight milers without giving it a thought. Of course I'm still nervous about being fit enough for the trek. I think that most of us are. But we'll all help each other through and cheer each other on. Besides, I've got you lovely lot who have sponsored and cheered.... I can't let you down. And I can't let Tim down. That just isn't in the plan.

Thank you again for all your lovely donations. I'm now at 104% of my fundraising target which is phenomenal. I'm overwhelmed by your generosity. Thank you.

Anyway, wish me luck in the Nordic Walking class..... hopefully it will be trip-free!

Jane Lomas is fundraising for The Brain Tumour Charity (justgiving.com)




Comments

  1. Oh you are doing so well ....sand and rock will be a doddle lol ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment